Stainless Exhaust -

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Stainless Exhaust -
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 06:42:34 -0800
Cc: spitfires@autox.team.net
Does anyone know if the stainless steel exhaust systems sold by the "big
three", specifically for the TR6 single pipe, is truly a free flow muffler
or merely a copy of the existing muffler.  I am looking to replace the mild
steel stock muffler (muffler only, not the pipes) on the V6 Spit with the
SS muffler for the TR6, but only if it's less restrictive then the TR6
muffler that is on there now.  I realize that the inlets, outlets, and
mounting brackets for my application will have to be cut off and modified
for my car (something I already did for the TR6 muffler that is on the car
now), but I don't want to just replace what I already have.  If I'm going
through all the work to fit this, I want an improvement, and I DON'T want a
Monza "loud and louder" system (BTDT have the shirt, I'm too old for that
:-}).  I would like a nice (*fairly* quiet, I drive the car everyday, 40
miles) tone similar to what I have, but a little less restrictive at higher
RPMs for the 2.8 liters in there now.  The TR6 2.5 should be close enough
to do the job, and it still looks like it belongs there, which is also a
HIGH priority.  No turbo muffler/glass pack with a 8" dia coffee can pipe
sticking out the back for me (I prefer the subtle approach, I don't need to
advertise :-})!  I like the transverse muffler with the twin (chrome) pipes
exiting on the right corner of the car that I have now!
Any comments, experiences, etc.?

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)