Re: A curious dilemma

To: jonmac <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>, 2000- Register <2000-Register@autox.team.net>, Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: A curious dilemma
From: jim williams <sportsix63@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 07:12:22 -0800 (PST)

--- jonmac <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk> wrote:

> The subject is external oil feeds. I've just
> refitted my
> 2500 injection head having had hardened valveseats
> fitted
> and a general top end overhaul, including gas
> flowing and a
> skim to clean up mating surfaces. Prior to fitting,
> I spent
> about an hour with various lengths of welding wire
> and a
> high pressure kero wash and brush probing into oil
> drillings. I then spent a further happy few minutes
> with
> many cubic metres of very compressed air. Prior to
> fitting
> the head, I installed the oil supply pipe to the
> rear of the
> head, properly installed copper washers etc and then
> went
> through the motions of torquing the head, fitting
> valve gear
> etc - as you do. After cranking to circulate oil,
> time comes
> to re-connect essential wires and start.
> Oil p******g out and initially traced to a defective
> spin-on
> oil filter sealing ring. Changed that. P*****g
> continued
> unabated and eventually traced to the external feed
> into the
> head where, despite what appeared to be a very
> comprehensive
> and effective seal, the oil was being forced out in
> voluminous quantities. We open for skating on the
> garage
> floor tomorrow.
> I'm as satisfied as I can be that there are no
> internal
> obstructions and the rockers are clearly getting
> their oil
> supply via the pedestal drillings, so I've
> temporarily taken
> off the feed pipe and replaced the blanking plug. No
> more
> leaks.
> The only reason I can think is that possibly there's
> an
> excessive oil flow up top and too much to go through
> the
> drillings. Seems odd. Has anyone else had this
> problem and
> if so, did you dispense with the external oil feed -
> oe
> what?
>
> Jonmac
>
> I had an oil line fitted to a Vitesse when I
purchased
it. Every time I started the car the engine let out a
cloud of smoke. During each gear change, same thing.
Thinking the problem was with the valve guides and
wear in the engine I rebuilt the whole thing. Now, I'm
convinced the problem was with the external oil feed.
I removed it. A machine shop owner told me that the
amount of oil flowing to the head was too much.
Again, one man's opinion.
Jim Williams
13/60 Estate
Sport6 1963