Re: TR6 Medallion self-destructs!

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Medallion self-destructs!
From: "Philip Haldeman" <haldeman@accessone.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 13:15:09 -0800charset="Windows-1252"
Thanks for the responses on this issue.  It does appear that there's very
little difference between my '72 medallion (exclusive to that year) and the
older "cloisonne" type.  Both are a high-gloss black material with silver
outline "TR6".  One of the people in the local Triumph club took a look at a
'69 badge for me.  The difference seems to be that my '72 is made of an
opaque black (enamel) material, and that the earlier "cloisonne" has
virtually the same appearance, except that the black is coated with a layer
of clear "cloisonne" enamel.  I haven't examined it myself, but in either
case, it would seem that no metal backing shows through either material.
It's just that they were made using two different manufacturing processes.
The later badges, of course, were not this expensive---being foil stick-ons.
I'm going to order the earlier badge and see what arrives.  I have to admit,
I'm getting a little wary of just ordering a "replacement" part without
doing a little research.  Many of these parts do not have the "look and
feel" of the originals, and ideally we do not want obvious replicas.

Phil Haldeman