Caliper Rebuild/Boots

To: "'rswitzer@erols.com'" <rswitzer@erols.com>
Subject: Caliper Rebuild/Boots
From: "Taffel, Sherman" <STaffel@bcps.k12.md.us>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 10:51:08 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Reference TR-4 front calipers.  I always replace the pistons, and hone the
piston cyl wall very gently, the only problem is with the 'Boots'.

Over the years various suppliers of 'boots' have provided a different style
lip on the boots, some are V shaped, and these are a problem, and the
original sytle needs to be used, which was a like a squared side U. In
desperation of the non-sealing boots and desire to keep debree (even brake
dust) out of the piston area, I alcohol cleaned the lip of the caliper
adjacent to the piston, and over a couple of days, doing 1/4 of the lip each
6-8 hours, used 3M weatherstrip adhesive to 'glue' the v lip of the boot to
the caliper lip.

Sherman D. Taffel
Columbia, MD
'65 TR-4 (completing frame up restoration)
32 year owner

'72 E-Type FHC (V-12)
'76 XJ12C
'76 Jensen GT