Re: Removing paint -- where to begin?

To: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Removing paint -- where to begin?
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 99 12:39:01 -0800
After doing a couple of rebuilds that took the paint down to bare metal I
recommend against removing good condition properly adhearing factory
paint.  The factory put the paint on when the metal was newly formed.
Any paint you replace it with will probably not adhere as well.  Bringing
it down to bare metal will allow moisture in the air to come into contact
with the bare metal.  I suggest only going down to bare metal in rusted
spots & otherwise try to preserve the good condition "live" paint left
from the factory coat.  You know there is no rust under that.

The problem is where the original paint was scraped, cracked, not sprayed
or was not sprayed thick enough.  On my car the factory painter skimmed
on the underside of the valance, front and rear scuttle panels.

Just an opinion from someone who has seen too much rust coming up from
under newish paint on too many cars that have been taken down to bare
metal.

TeriAnn
                      http://www.overlander.net

  The world's most complete set of links connecting Rover 4X4 owners
  with Rover parts, service, accessory & sales companies world wide.