Fitting the Cross Tube on TR4

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fitting the Cross Tube on TR4
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 13:26:57 EST
Sherman,
I don't know if this will do the trick but perhaps jacking up the frame from
below at the middle of the lower cross member will open up the two spring
turrets enough (to spread) to help get your upper cross tube in place. I am
sure the engine weight is pushing it down and if there is any flex to the
unbraced lower crossmember the top would close up (the very reason for the a
cross tube?) You may want to loosen front engine mounts then tighten after
that procedure.
good luck
Carl
'64TR4 since '74 ..will be doing same soon enough
<<Restoring my TR4,
Got the Engine/Trans back in, mounts bolted even, but
having propblems fitting the Front Frame Cross Brace, which is all nicely
painted.In positioning, I've bolted up the Drivers side (not final tension,
but the passenger side refuses to slide back to the correct location.  I am
one bolt size hole diameter away from the pre-drilled factory fittings, and
can not get a screwdrive to help because I'm not close enough. Use of Mallet
has not helped so far.  Isn't it wonderful how a 15 min installation takes
days!
Any hints please?
Sherman D. Taffel
CT40054