Re: Head Gaskts LEYLAND TRUCKS

To: Berry Kercheval <berry@scriptics.com>, "Richard J. Simpson" <rjs@computan.on.ca>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Head Gaskts LEYLAND TRUCKS
From: Don Kerr <dkveuro@pop.flash.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 17:38:24 -0600
Cc: "'british-cars@autox.team.net'" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Dear everyone, the only integral block/head engine I have ever come to
see is the 9 litre Leyland (shades of Triumph, eh?) truck diesel engine
circa 1970-73 in the Leyland otr truck, I think it was called the
Marathon.
It was rated at about 2/300HP or so and naturally asperated ( Non turbo
) The block and head were cast this way to try to eliminate head gasket
failures. The valves were installed from the pan end of the block up the
cylinders. I believe the project was terminated after a very short
prodution run for various reasons,as were a number of inovative engine
designs of that period. This vehicle was produced in Layland Truck Works
in Leyland Lancashire UK. Scammel was also said to be doing some thing
along these lines too about then , as for Scammel, my only contact was a
brief meeting with a test driver one night in 1972 ish after trying to
catch him as we left the North Circular Road one night while I was
driving a part loaded Scania to Wales, he pulled in to the services at
London Airport on the M4 motorway, I found he/they (Scammel) had a DOT
special permit to run at the new proposed weights of 50 ton gross, the
eventual weight was 38 tonnes, from the works in Watford to the Aust
services on the Severn bridge, the cab was full of data gathering gear,
and with my 295HP Scania was hard put to catch the Scammel....Apart from
a twin engined Ford truck, 32 tonnes gross, built in Ipswish, Suffolk
UK. by BRS, but never put in service due to complexety, the second
engine was supposed to fire up and pull when ever the throttle past mid
way, those are all I've seen. Apart from that I've drawn a blank.