O/D Transmission

To: "Adrian Dix-Dyer" <dixie4@wales.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: O/D Transmission
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 09:36:40 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by "Adrian Dix-Dyer"
>Listers,

>Having followed the thread on gearbox types and fitting and it has
prompted
>my following questions:
>
>Has anyone experienced the fitting of a J type O/D gearbox to a TR4A but
>with the 'saloon' tailshaft. This tailshaft differs in the fact that it
has
>2 vertical threaded holes not horizontal?.

I can't speak for the TR4A but I put a J-type O/D in my 71 TR6.  This O/D
had holes on the back side of the housing (at right angle to the normal
mounting holes) which I used with a piece of angle iron and some other
improvisations.  I had to notch part of the original trans mounts on the
frame to clear the solenoid.  And there is no room for the standard trans
mount (the rubber bit).  (Note: I have since then replaced my knackered
frame with one from a 73 model which has the proper mounts for the J-type.)

>Do I require a right-angled speedo drive?

I dunno, if you don't use one the cable comes out at a right angle to the
transmission.  The frame has a provision for just that but on the A-type.
Is the J-type speedo connection is a different location?  If so then you
just might need it to avoid having the cable interfere with the frame.

Good luck

Dave