Migs

To: <tr6greig@globalnet.co.uk>
Subject: Migs
From: "David Hill" <davhill@cwcom.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 23:28:20 -0000
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Looking for recommendation for a suitable welder for
working on my TR6. As with most things you get what you
pay for but I 'm not sure where to draw the line.Any help
greatly....

Hi, Cameron.

I have an SIP Turbomig, 160 amp, fan-cooled. This is a good unit but is a
bit fierce for body metal-it has taken long practice to allow me to butt
weld with it.

Of course, it all depends on your budget but were I buying a new unit, I
would look for the following....

Non-live torch-anything without is no more than a toy.
Wire feed speed controllable at the torch-very handy for welding thin metal.
Pulse setting-ditto.
Burnback control-will save you a lot of time cleaning/freeing off the feed
wire from the nozzle.
At least 150 amps.
Proper, industrial pressure/flow gauge for a real gas bottle-I use BOC
argoshield TC, which is about £40 per year for rent and about £19.00 for a
fill. The little aerosol-type gas containers are too expensive and too short
lived, gasless migs are none too clever on costs or action and CO2 (pub
bottles) give far too much splatter.

You get most, if not all of this on a BOC Monomig-at a price but I believe
there are rivals for less.

Hope this helps you.

Dave Hill

David Hill/Psychomotor