comparison

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: comparison
From: Ernest Husmann <chusmann@execpc.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 09:33:30 -0600
This message may not be in keeping with the theme of this web site but I
thought a stunning revelation I've had might be of some interest and may
also end the vendor bashing, if only for a few weeks.

For Christmas my wife and daughter concluded, without my input, that I
should purchase a train set for my four year old grandson.  Given that
they had put their usual amount of thought in this idea, it only took me
an hour of questioning and viewing a few web sites to determine what
they meant by a train set.

Fortunately I live in the Milwaukee WI area and have easy access to one
of the largest model railroading vendors in the world.  This company is
known for their inventory, quality and service, so off I go to their
warehouse showroom.  Well after a few false starts due to inventory
shortages and mis-intrepted ideas between myself and the sale
representative, I purchased a very nice Lionel O-27 series starter set.
Although I looked at the set at the store, when I got home and removed
the items from the plastic bags, I found two items that had very small
missing parts.  Back to the store for an exchange.

While in the store I took the opportunity to mentally make a list and
price various items that would be needed to put together a very nice
model railroad set up.  Since the first trip to the store over a month
ago I have kept thinking how expensive and how troublesome this was
going to be, but being an educated man I was not going to stand in front
of my wife or daughter an argue this case.

Anyway, Christmas came and the grandson was captivated with the train
set although it is only a small oval track with train and no
accessories.  My wife and daughter thought I had done well.  Me, I
couldn't stop thinking how this was going to be expensive and
troublesome.  But the grandson was happy, right?

Too the point.  Yesterday, the UPS truck stopped and dropped off a
package containing parts to rebuild the rear suspension on my 1973 TR6.
The first step in a driving restoration.  Like a four year old kid I
tear into the box to see what is there...Maybe model railroading isn't
that expensive or troublesome after all.

Have a safe and happy New Year.

Ernie Husmann

A man who accepts the benefits of a society
also accepts the rules of that society. - Socrates
I don't think so!