Re: TR4 spring removal & brake component finishes

To: Billtr4@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR4 spring removal & brake component finishes
From: Dennis & Bridget Lambert <blambert@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 08:39:42 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Bill,

Having just been there, done that, (twice - the lower "A" arm bushing grease
seals split only a few months after installation), I recommend making or buying
TR spring compressor.  I made mine out of a 14" x 3/4" bolt and associated
hardware obtained from work.  I figured if those bolts would hold thousands of
pounds of  force from our high voltage wires, they should do OK for the TR
springs.  Also, I think Moss has a spring compressor on sale for about
$25...probably the hot set-up.  TRF also has theirs on sale from time to time.
own a pair of standard external type spring compressors (I've done several strut
replacements on the family cars), and I couldn't get them to work properly on
the
TR.  As for color, I used gloss black for everything except the calipers, which
painted a "natural" silver finish.

Dennis