Re: TR6 Door Mirrors

Subject: Re: TR6 Door Mirrors
From: Trevor Jordan <tjordan@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 20:27:10 +1100
At 4:06 PM -0700 16/1/00, Tom Di Iulio wrote:
>    Dear Listers,
>    i have purchased side mirrors for my 76 tr6 that mount on the doors. i
>purchased a type that mounts with solid bolts that come thru/underneath  the
>door panel/skin and screw into the base of the mirror. this seemed to me a
>stronger system that the type that use a mounting plate and set screws.  the
>mirrors and frame appear to be high quality (chrome over brass).
>    my question is this: do the mirrors mount forward enough on the door to
>use the front top corner (close to seam between front fender and door)  that
>allows access to the backside for the bolts or do i mount them farther back
>and try to figure out how to get to the bolt heads to tighten?
>    first one with a good answer gets all my old firewall grommets i
>replaced this weekend!
>Tom Di Iulio
>1976 TR6 (up to 4 good scratches on new paint now!)
>Denver, Co

Tom

If you are installing two mirrors, then they need to be mounted
further back along the door.  A single driver side mirror can be
mounted forward where there is direct access to the inside of the
door, but a passenger side mirror that far forward will not be
visible from the driver's seat.

Use the passenger side mirror to determine the best position and then
mount the driver side mirror similarly.  If you have a copy of
Piggott's Original TR4 - 6, then look at the photograph on page 21.
It will give you some idea of how far back the mirrors need to go.

Some mirrors come with plastic plugs moulded into the mounting
base/gasket.  They expand when the screws are installed and there is
no need to have access to the interior of the door.  Do you really
want the mirrors to be mounted very solidly to the car?  If they are
hit or snagged, then it might be better if they broke free, rather
than bending and/or ripping the door skin.

Trevor Jordan
74 TR6 CF29281U (with two mirrors - one on each door)