Re: nyloc nuts verses old nyloc nuts with loctite.

Subject: Re: nyloc nuts verses old nyloc nuts with loctite.
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 22:43:14 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Depends.  Do you trust your life to Loctite (and your application of it)
?

I have definitely had old Nyloc nuts back off and come apart, so I'm
fairly religious about replacing them at least every 2-3 uses.  In a
pinch, you can squeeze a little more life out of them by laying them on
a smooth surface and smacking the nylon end with a BFH, to squeeze some
more nylon out into the thread area.

I get my Nyloc nuts at a local surplus house (Cal-Aero in Paramount,
CA), but you can mail-order them from McMaster-Carr at a reasonable
price.  Go to http://www.mcmaster.com/ , search for "nylon locknuts".  A
box of 100 grade 5 zinc-plated 1/4-28 is only $3.17 .

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver - with lots & lots of Nylocs <g>