TR6 electrical problem - Fuel and temp guages

To: "Worthy, John" <John.Worthy@corpmail.telstra.com.au>
Subject: TR6 electrical problem - Fuel and temp guages
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 09:51:21 -0500
Cc: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
John writes:
<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Listers

I have the following problem with these two gauges:

Fuel guage will often swing between absolute empty and absolute full and,
often won't read anything.

The Temp gauge just gave up the ghost despite the fact it had been working
while the fuel gauge was going through its tantrums.

I've checked the fuse box to ensure power is going to the green cabling.
I've checked the back of the gauges to ensure proper connections.  The
connections appear to be OK at the voltage stabiliser.  So what can the
problem be?  The wiring diagram shows a large connector block that feeds
green cables to various points including the voltage stabiliser.  Where is
this connector block?

The only change I have maded electrically is to install a relay, wired up
as
per Egil Kvaleberg's web pages to run the electrical fuel pump.  New wiring
was used here.

Any ideas?

Dan Masters where are you?

John

John.

The fact that the fuel gauge was acting up before the temp gauge stopped
working suggests that these are two different problems.  The fuel gauge
could be a bad tank unit and the temp gauge could be a bad temp sender.

The first thing to do is inspect the wiring.  Look for an unconnected
temperature sending unit or a broken wire.  Look for a disconnected gauge.

If everything looks normal, disconnect the temperature unit and touch the
wire to the engine block for a few seconds and see if the gauge starts to
move.  If it does odds are good that the temperature sending unit has
failed (these things can go bad suddenly and without warning).

The fuel gauge is a similar issue.  Follow the above steps.  With the fuel
sending unit you have the option of removing it from the tank and operating

the float arm manually and looking for proper indication.

The fact that you are getting some activity indicates that the fuse is good
and
there is power to the circuit.  If there was a problem with the voltage
stabilizer
both gauges would act up in unison.

Good luck.

Dave