Re: Losing wire wheel

To: "L. Metelko" <lmtr4a@ctlnet.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Losing wire wheel
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 19:11:13 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
> Tom:
>
>     One lister thought that worn splines had caused the loss of your wire
> wheel.  A badly worn spline will only allow the wheel to spin freely on
the
> hub but not seperate from the hub.

I was speaking from personal experience, not conjecture or theory.  When the
brakes are applied, the front right wheel will come completely off the
car -- the knock off, which loosens clockwise on the right, unscrews itself
from the hub.  This isn't a point to argue.  It can and will happen if the
splines are worn.  I know.  It happened to me. And it's happened to others.
Unless everyone with older hubs and wire wheels keeps an eye on their spline
wear, sadly, but just as sure as the sun rises in the east, it WILL happen
again.

Jeff in San Diego
'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3