RE: Tr6 wanted to buy

To: "'Jason Brinckman'" <JasonB@EvansComponents.com>, "Triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tr6 wanted to buy
From: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 15:28:38 -0600

Jason Brinckman wrote:

> I have just convinced myself that all I need to be complete
> in life is a TR6!

Just for the record: Owning a Triumph may be fun, perhaps even "necessary",
but unless you've had a ride in a Wienermobile, your life cannot possibly be
"complete".

> more concerned about functionality than originality.
> What should I expect for about $8000 or so?

Both. For that money you ought to be able to come up with a _very_ nice car.
Not a show winner perhaps, but a clean, mechanically sound, rust-free,
properly maintained (or restored) car.

> I'm interested on your opinion's on whether a hard top is recommended
> or soft top is ok (Oregon doesn't get many sun breaks)

If you decide you want a hardtop, you ought to make a real effort to get a
car that already has one - because "new" ones are extremely rare (and
expensive). Used factory hardtops are not that plentiful or cheap either.

> Also any advice on buying cars long distance (car transport
> recommendations/costs, 3rd party car inspections etc.)
> My plan was after an extensive phone interview I would get a 3rd party to
do
> an inspection for me
> and then if all went well fly out and do the final deal.

Since you live in Portland, you could just wait for the VTR meet in Portland
the first week of August and the cars will come to you!

Jim Hill
Madison WI