Re: Exhaust Wrap

To: slantws@home.com
Subject: Re: Exhaust Wrap
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 16:45:23 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 30/01/00 21:37:38 GMT Standard Time, slantws@home.com
writes:

<< Subj:     Re: Exhaust Wrap
 Date:  30/01/00 21:37:38 GMT Standard Time
 From:  slantws@home.com (Jerry Oliver)
 To:    GuyotLeonF@aol.com, Triumphs@autox.team.net

 Some of the antiques cars I have restored (1913 Overland, 1912 Model T)
 use a heat wrap material on the muffler due to the location of it near
 fuel tanks and lines. It works well. However, in a small engine
 compartment, it might be a bit bulky. I used the services of Jet Hot
 Coatings on the exhaust manifold on my TR4A. They apply coatings for
 various purposes to a variety of applications, from antiques to show
 cars to hot rods to race cars. This might be an effective alternative,
 albeit more expensive, to the heat wrap. Jerry Oliver, Olympia, WA.   68
 TR250, 66 TR4A, 61 MGA, 58 XK150 Jaguar.

Good advice, but only two disadvantages...

One. I had a coating, (zinc i think) applied to a Mk.2 Spitfire manifold
once, only to discover afterwards that it would not fit on my 1147cc Herald
with Supercharger without further cutting and welding, (to avoid
supercharger), and then discovered that it could  not be welded with that
coating, so was forced to sell it to a Mk.2 Spitfire owner.

Two. I would have to remove the manifold and take it to the shop to be coated
and thus my car would be out of service for a period, which is not
convenient, whereas the wrap would avoid such a situation.

However, I appreciate that I do not have a great deal of clearance, and will
have to reove the Webers and inlet manifolding in order to fit the wrap...and
then replace them again...not the most enjoyable job in the world.

Thanks again

ps. Jerry, do you know my pal, Dan Eaton in Olympia, Wa?

Léon F Guyot

Triumph Sports Six Club
International Liaison Secretary
1963 Triumph Vitesse 2-Litre Convertible
Wimbledon, London, England.