Re: GT6 parts

To: <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: GT6 parts
From: "Steven McCutcheon" <Steven.McCutcheon@MAH.GOV.ON.CA>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 19:38:54 -0500
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Joe:
Received GT6 listing bars today.  It only cost me $7.02 for customs and duty in
addition to the $20.00 I paid oyu for the partes and shipping.  Thanks!
As you know, I forwarded the item to Philip in B.C. yesterday.  Shipping from
Ontario to B.C. was $5.40!!!!! But you only paid $0.69 from Arizona to
Ontario....doesn't that just bite!  Canada is such a great place to live...so
long as you have no reason to interact with the rest of the world!
Steve Mc
1960 TR Italia
1964 TR4
1969 TR6
1975 TR6 (smashed rear end)
1975 Spit
1973 GT6

>>> Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net> 02/10/00 05:51pm >>>

No, we're not talking about Frank Zappa again.  What we're talking about
is making something work when the right tool is not available.

I had my front springs cut down and bought a set of SPAX shocks from
BPNW for Tiny Tin, the healing Mk1 Spitfire Race car project.

I don't have a spring compressor, although I probably ought to break
down and buy one.  I checked around to see if anybody locally has
something that I could use and coming up empty, I decided to see what I
had available to improvise a solution.

Here's what I came up with: (You will have to turn on your imagination
to picture the crude but effective solution).

I took a 12 inch long 3/8" grade 8 bolt and using spacers and washers
(camber compensator parts), I threaded the bolt through the bottom eye
of the shock.

I found a pair of Heavy duty turnbuckles that were originally planned
for supporting a 100 foot base antenna.  I attached the lower end of
each turnbuckle to the ends of the bolt and extended them to their
maximum length.

I placed the spring on the shock and the top bracket over the spring and
took a Spitfire brake drum (the center hole is perfectly sized to fit
around the three bolts that secure the top bracket) and used it for the
top piece.

I connected the upper ends of the turnbuckles to either end of a 1/4"
speed handle (the offset in the middle allows clearance to attach the
upper bushing and nut).

I tightened the turnbuckles about 3 twists each in rotation until the
shock mounting stud came up high enough to clear the bracket and allow
installation of the bushing, 2 washers and the nut.

Not overly glamorous, but highly effective.

Next project:  Making a silk purse from a sow's ear!

Regards,
Joe

--
 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer