Smoke on the Decel

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Smoke on the Decel
From: "Kim and Kelly Alford" <alfords@seanet.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2000 10:44:29 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Hello All,
After not running my 71 TR6 for about a month, I noticed a new, symptom that
has me concerned.  When I am traveling down hill, or on a flat surface, and
use the engine for braking by simply taking my foot off the gas, I get a lot
of blue smoke out of the exhaust.  Under acceleration, or idle, it's clean.
Looking through the exploded view of the parts for the head, I noticed there
are no valve guide seals in this car.  Is this really the case?  My
automotive recall not being what it used to be, it seems that the smoke is
from either leaky valve guides, or, (gulp), broken, or leaky oil ring(s).
The only other thing I can think of is that I changed to a thinner oil for
the winter from what I usually run.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Kelly Alford
71 TR6
Shoreline, WA.