which way does bearing face?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: which way does bearing face?
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2000 19:46:48 -0600
I'm reassembling my rear axle hubs today, and in the Haynes manual it
says that the inner (roller) bearing should be installed by tapping
on the lettered (not radiused) side.  Fine.  But from which direction
is one supposed to tap?

Maybe a better way to ask is ... which direction should the letters
ultimately face -- in toward the diff or out toward the hub?

Anybody else buy the d*mn VB u-joints that include a 3/4" long grease
zerk?  Well, the zerk interferes with the travel of the joint.
Anybody see a problem with simply removing the grease zerk until it's
time to grease again?

Dan Buettner