Windshield washer woes

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Windshield washer woes
From: "Jay Snavely" <jays@paonline.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2000 08:53:21 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
In preparation for annual inspection, I tried to get the windshield washer
on my 74 TR6 to work.  The motor runs, all the parts seem to be original and
in place, but the pump refuses to raise the water up thru the tube.  I
thought it was a matter of priming the pump.   I put a hose on the outlet
side of the pump and ran water down thru the pump.  I also held the inlet
hose up higher than the pump and ran water into the hose.  It pumped great
while I was doing this.  However, as soon as the pump stopped and the hose
is put back down into the bottle, all the water runs out of the hose.  I
studied the parts catalogs and I was wondering about the inlet valve.  It
appears to be a one way valve to prevent water from draining from the
system.  Mine does not do this.  Mine appears to be original, it says Tudor
in the side.  It has a screen on the bottom which clips onto a funnel shaped
piece which slips into the hose.  It has a small orifice, but you can see
thru it.  I don't know how that would function as a one way valve.  At this
point I am not sure if my problem is only this valve, or if the pump is worn
out also.  Has anyone gone thru this?

Jay
74TR6