(Fwd) Re: Not really LBC... Need help with spinning captive nu

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: (Fwd) Re: Not really LBC... Need help with spinning captive nu
From: "J.H. Roulleaux" <Jean.Rouleaux@skynet.be>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 19:51:50 +0200

Hello wise list-ers  !

Today while attempting to do-it-myself install a bolt on receiver hitch
on my astro van - I ran into a bit of a situation.
I needed to remove half a dozen or so bolts that hold the bumper mounts
to the frame so I could position the hitch assembly into place and then
re attach with the new bolts.  Problem is - one of the bolts just spins
and spins - I assume that the captive nut welded to the inside of the
frame channel has become "unwelded".  The nut is inside a square tube
that has baffles in it - can't even see the *&^%% thing, let alone get a
wrench on it!.

Anybody got any ideas as to how I can remove the bolt?  I've considered
cutting an access into the channel, but I don't like the idea of putting
weak spots into the frame.  If I need to take it to a shop I will - but
if anybody has any info I sure would appreciate it.

PS I need the hitch to pull my trailer to move the spit-in-a-box, so I
felt this question was worthy of the list!

Cheers
Reg Tulk

Hi Reg,
Try to put some tension on the bolt when unsrewing it, this will lock
up the nut on the other side, a screwdriver under the head of the
bolt and push while unscrewing. I had the same problem when
removing the transmission cover on my 6. One top bolt located
under the battery box took about one hour and there is only one
inch space.But it came off.
Good luck
Jean