Re: Vitesse Coupe

To: Gary Blake <garyb@fast.co.za>
Subject: Re: Vitesse Coupe
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 13:50:51 -0400 ()
Cc: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>, Scions of the Spitfire <spitfires@autox.team.net>, The Triumph Herald Group <triumph_herald@eGroups.com>
On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Gary Blake wrote:

> Hello listers
> I am considering the following project, similar to the Vitesse Coupe in
> Triumph World no 21, that will combine Vitesse mechanicals, bonnet and
> bootlid with Herald Coupe body and chassis.
> Available I have a complete Coupe with scrap engine and gearbox and a Mk2
> Vitesse with good mechanicals, bonnet and interior.
> The big question is what problems will I encounter in trying to combine
> these pieces?
> The biggest snag I see is whether the Rotoflex Vitesse rear suspension will
> fit into the Coupe chassis as, unlike the Triumph World car, I need to use
> the Coupe chassis as the Vitesse chassis is very rusty.
> Any thoughts or comments appreciated.
> Gary
> Johannesburg, ZA

What fun! Biggest potential problem I see lies with the Coupe' chassis. If
it is a GA80001 or later car with the "Star" (essentially the
Vitesse-style chassis commonised with the Herald at that point), then
there should be few problems involved. If it is the earlier Herald
chassis, then I would recommend either trying to rebuild the Vitesse
chassis or obtaining another one (or a chassis from a later post GA80001
Herald). The later chassis is much sturdier than is the early one, and I'm
not at all sure the early-style chassis is up to the stress of the
six-cylinder's torque. Adapting an earlier body to a later chassis
shouldn't be that difficult, though.

I've also copied this to a Herald e-mail list for possible further input
by the members of that list.

--Andy