Re: Rear Spring Removal

To: Michael Ferguson <fergie@ntplx.net>, TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear Spring Removal
From: "Michael Andrews" <mandrews53@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 23:13:13 -0700
I 've had a similar experience with spring removal on my TR2. The long
version is  I had to drill out the bolt with a 18" long 5/8" drill . Yes
through the body. Don't hammer on it .The frame will move before the bolt.
This was after putting liquid wrench in a bag sealed to the frame hoping to
break the rust. Nada. The drill,  use the drill Luke. I cut the bolt off at
the frame (spring side) and used the puller tool Herman Van Den Akker(a copy
of the Churchill tool) made to keep pressure on it . I started hammering on
it till I noticed a pucker starting in the frame. Then I put a hole in the
body so I could get a straight shot at the Bolt. Center punched it and put a
starter 1/4 " hole mostly in the center of the bolt. I just kept drilling
the hole larger till it was gone. The bolt had rusted minorly to the frame
and wouldn't slide out like the first side.All this to install new springs
and that snappy spring locator kit from Gillanders/ Racestorations( British
Frame and Engine ). In the end it was worth it but what a chore. Lottsa Luck
.
Michael Andrews
TR2  #TS7687