Re: TR 3 Steering

To: "Ron L'Herault" <lherault@bu.edu>
Subject: Re: TR 3 Steering
From: J Ruffner <erl@virginia.edu>
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2000 13:11:33 -0400
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
There are actually four primary causes for TR-3 steering to be sloppy:

1:  wear on the pin that follows the worm gear
2: wear in the sleeve that carries the Pitman arm
3: wear in the fulcrum pins in the center tie rod (these are the rubber-encased
taper pins that go in the tie rod, and the tapers go in the Pitman and idler
arms
4: wear in the idler arm itself.

Most common are the idler arm and the decay of the rubber in the fulcrum pins.
Unless they are making a good replacement for the idler are, this is the most
difficult to fix.  That's because they involve wear in the housing itself, and
the idler is based on a screw, not a sleeved shaft.  They used to be fairly
inexpensive, but I don't know now.

Some times it is wear in the end float of the the worm, but this can be
adjusted.  Also you need to check the most obvious:  Worn outer tie rod
balljoints.  The worm follower pin can be replaced if available, and if not,
you can remove the old, rotate it 90 degrees, and re-insert it.

Cheers.