Was: IT'S ALIVE and smooooth

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Was: IT'S ALIVE and smooooth
From: "Ken Waringa" <kwaringa@dynsys.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 06:56:21 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Thanks to all who responded about my clutch.  I got home last night and
decided to bleed the system to see if there was air in it.  Well I got my
one person bleeder gadget hooked up and opened the bleed valve, climbed out
from under the car.  Took a drink of beer (essential when working on LBC
after a day at work), got in the car, pumped the pedal once and the
reservoir was empty!  I looked under the car and had a nice puddle in the
driveway (took another drink of beer).  I didn't realize the fluid would run
out just by gravity.  I had visions of a master cylinder rebuild, thinking
there should be a seal to prevent the fluid from running out.  I was wrong
again.  I made a couple calls to some knowledgeable triumph people and found
that the fluid would indeed run out all by it's self.  Oh well.

I now have a completely flushed out clutch hydraulic system with all new
fluid that is working great.

However, one cure leads to the next problem.  While I was under the car to
measure the movement of the clutch fork (5/8") I saw the rubber was off the
end of the slave cylinder.  I put it back on, had my son press the clutch
pedal, and the rubber came off again.  The reason the rubber keeps coming
off is that the piston is pushing it off each time you press the clutch (got
out from under the car, another drink of beer).  I assume the piston being
out so far is where I'm getting the air in the system.  What now?  Is there
a longer rod available from the slave cylinder to the fork?  New clutch
time?  The clutch seems good with no noticeable slippage.  Am I in danger of
the piston coming all the way out and leaving me stranded?

As always thanks for all the advise.

Ken Waringa