Gearbox TR/STAG SEDAN J type OD and ID's

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gearbox TR/STAG SEDAN J type OD and ID's
From: "John J. Black" <transmancat@bbnow.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 09:08:41 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Hi Guys
Just some more information that might help you out. I am picking up on
Ashley's read here so I hope he does not mind.
The Stag box has the same input shaft as the TR6 (the sedan ones are only
1") but.... the carrier for the throw out bearing is longer than the TR6.
There is also a slight difference with the operating arm, but the original
will fit OK. The tube that the T.O. bearing carrier moves, on is also to
long, to use the box you need to shorten it. The OD wiring loom is different
but this is easy to deal with anyway. The speedo gearing  is also different
and to find the right one can be a pain in the ^%$#@. The rear mount is also
slightly different.
All this is no bog deal to change, just a chore or good fun depending upon
how many beers you have <grin> The number system for the OD's is a minefield
you really need a reference book to be sure of what is going on. If anyone
on the list has something that helps I would like a copy!!!!! To put it into
some kind of perspective the J type has 27 different sets of parts inside
it. Of those parts 16 are not interchangeable. Try ordering, and getting the
right part first time, with those odds! And you thought Lucas was bad.
I hope this helps
Regards
John J Black
Waterloo Drivetrain Systems