RE: how DO you use a feeler gauge?

Subject: RE: how DO you use a feeler gauge?
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 10:50:24 -0700
I like the sound of the go-no go method, I'll have to give that a
try.  But this question about what is a good fit with feeler gauges
has always puzzled me.  eventually I developed my own method which
basically involves tightening the screw, with feeler in place and
while tightening, I *gently* rock the feeler side-to-side and feel
how much it moves in a rocking direction.  This is very subtle, and
frankly it sounds like the go-no go method is better, but I figured
that the less the feeler is able to rock within the space, the closer
that space is to the actual thickness of the feeler.  With this
method I always end up with a reasonable amount of drag on the feeler
when sliding it back and forth.

--
Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6