Re: [Fwd: TR3 Chassis Number]

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fwd: TR3 Chassis Number]
From: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 08:11:33 +0100
Can't tell you who put them there but my real early TR4 has two of these
plates, one welded on top of the other.  My TR4 chassis was originally a
TR3A chassis and was modified by the factory for use under a TR4.
Apparently what the factory did at that point was to weld the TR4 chassis
ID plate right on top of the TR3A chassis ID plate.  In looking at my TR4
chassis there are a lot of features that were unique to the TR3A cars that
were left on my chassis.  Items such as the rear fender brace attachment
points, holes for the front bumper mounts to bolt to the frame, front motor
mount mounting holes, etc.

> I never looked closely at the tag, but I did notice it on my car, now that
> the engine is out. I don't know what is might say, but I can look. It's
> pretty rusty though.
>

> George Richardson
>
> suhring wrote:
>
> > I'm having problems with the mail server sending my
> > messages to the list so I'm trying another approaches
> > with my settings.
> >
> > suhring wrote:
> > >
> > > I removed the tranny and engine this past weekend and all
> > > went well. Tonight I had the chance to remove the last two pieces
> > > from the chassis, the front engine mount plates.
> > >
> > > As I was cleaning some of the years of dirt off the chassis, I found a
> > > metal plate welded to the top center of the front cross member of the
> > > chassis. Stamped on the plate is the following: Z 29. I can find no
> > > reference to the chassis having a plate such as this in any of the
> > > books. Does anyone know what this is?
> > >
> > > TIA
> > >
> > > Scott Suhring
> > > Elizabethtown, PA
> > > '70 TR6
> > > '59 TR3

Brad  (Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)
My Triumph Web Site Http://www.141.com/triumphs (updated 12/12/99)
My Dodge Web Site Http://www.141.com/dodge (updated 4/7/99)

1964 Spitfire4 BFC25720L -- Now camber compensated!
1962 TR4 CT288L -- lots & lots of teeny pieces
1962 TR3B TCF1564L (in the barn)
1953 Mayflower TT29490LDL (in the driveway)
1951 1/2 ton Dodge Truck B-3-B-108