RE: That rubber acid stuff!

Subject: RE: That rubber acid stuff!
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 09:37:05 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hi All :

It's probably true that at least _some_ synthetic materials can produce
small amounts of hydrofluoric acid when burnt.  It's certainly used in the
refining of petroleum products, etc.  (Local fuss some years back : refinery
in the middle of a fair sized city has 10,000 gallons of pressurized
hydrofluoric acid in a tank, enough to kill everyone for miles if the tank
sprang a leak such that the acid formed a cloud.  AFAIK the HF's still
there, and I frequently drive past that refinery.).  HF is used in a great
many processes, and even for things like washing aluminum truck trailers (in
dilute form).

However, I've handled 49% HF, including getting it on my skin, and IMO it's
not nearly as dangerous as the original post made it sound.  You certainly
wouldn't want to take a bath in it, but you won't have to amputate your hand
because it got on a finger either.  It's actually a fairly weak acid, the
dangerous part of it is the free fluorine ions.  Any strong soap will be
alkaline enough to bond with the fluorine, and then you simply wash it off.
In my case, the soap in the dormitory washrooms worked fine. The slight burn
itched for a few days, but didn't leave a scar. <g>

Randall