Re: Engine block water drain hole

To: "KENNETH A. vonKLUCK" <KAVONKLU@defrees.com>
Subject: Re: Engine block water drain hole
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 13:29:34 -0400 ()
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Fri, 28 Apr 2000, KENNETH A. vonKLUCK wrote:

> The engine in my 63 TR-4 was rebuilt in 1971 with new oversize liners
> and pistons and other necessary pieces.  The rebuilt engine worked fine
> however the car was stored until May, 1998 when substantial renovation
> work was done.  The car resumed daily service in September, 1998.
> However, since the car was taken out of storage through the present the
> water drain hole on the side of the block does not function.  Nothing
> but small drops of rusty fluid come out of the drain hole even when the
> "tap" is removed and the engine if running.  The engine does not run
> hotter than when new ( I have had the car since it was new) so it
> appears that the coolant is circulating.  Does anyone have intimate
> knowledge of the waterways in the block and a suggestion of how I
> extract the blockage with taking the engine apart?

Ken, start by removing the tap completely and probing around in there with
a stiff wire or the end of a coat hanger. Odds are you'll loosen a goodly
amount of blockage, after which I think I'd follow up with a chemical
flush.

It sounds as if whatever blockage isn't complete (possibly just the area
right around the hole), but I wouldn't be surprised if you still notice a
slight improvement, i.e., lowering of running temperature, once you clear
it all out.

--Andy