Best head/intake for performance TR3

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Best head/intake for performance TR3
From: Twistblts@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 22:35:30 EDT
Listers,
    What is the conventional wisdom regarding the optimal cylinder head and
intake manifold carbureator set--up for my '58 TR3? I have the stock head
available with the stock S.U. carbs and short manifold. I also have a TR4A
cylinder head available with the long runner intake manifold and HS6 carbs. I
am having the machine work done currently on the engine and will be
installing an 87mm piston and liner set and a mild cam.  I am considering
using the split cast iron "header" style exhaust manifold off a TR4A as well.

    1. Is the TR4A intake and exhaust set up a better way to go from a power
standpoint?

    2. Which head is the best choice and why?

    3.  Will the TR4A long runner intake and carbs fit between the fender
wells on my     car?

    4. I am changing to the TR4A flywheel and diaphragm style clutch. Should
the     flywheel and pressure plate assemble be balanced separately from the
rest of     the lower end?

    5. How difficult is it to tie on to the dual pipe exhaust system that
goes into one   if I want to use the large bore single stainless TR3 system?
( I know I'll have to   buy the head pipe separately.)

Any advice, observations, been there-done that anecdotes, etc. would be
greatly appreciated.

Mark York