Re: Will not fire

To: "karen hakala & tim hutchisen" <hakhutch@megalink.net>
Subject: Re: Will not fire
From: "Tom Di Iulio" <diiulio@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 20:54:01 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
    i was hoping someone with more knowledge than i would respond but since
no one has i'll offer my 2 cents.
    i recently went thru exactly what you're experiencing on my '76.  i had
fuel in the cylinders and spark at the plugs.  i also have an electronic
ignition that i did not install yet, instead using points and condensor.  i
will ultimately install the electronic stuff but i wanted to get the engine
running first and didn't want to wonder if there was a problem with my
installation of the unit.
    a fellow triumph owner referred me to section 12.10.22 of my bentley
which shows a picture of the proper orientation of the distributor drive
shaft and gear when the engine is at 4 degrees atdc.  i re-set mine the same
as the picture and she did fire for the first time.  now my engine isn't
running perfect below 2000 rpms, but it gets me around the block and i'm
convinced the timing was off due to the incorrect setting of this gear.
    another question i have is how do you know you have fuel in the
cylinders? if the plugs are wet, you are correct.  if not, you're smelling
the carbs.  i'm certain you're correct on your statements,  i't's just that
i was pretty sure of some stuff too until i was shown otherwise.
    as i said at the beginning,  i'm no expert on this subject.  with the
help of some good friends, i was able to get mine running.  i hope this
helps you.
Tom Di Iulio
1976 TR6
Denver, Co