Triumph Tribulation/TRA2000/ZS carb revisted

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Triumph Tribulation/TRA2000/ZS carb revisted
From: "Taffel, Sherman" <STaffel@bcps.k12.md.us>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 13:54:12 -0400charset="windows-1257"
Cc: "'RDDELL@mindspring.com'" <RDDELL@mindspring.com>, "'staffel@home.com'" <staffel@home.com>, "'aaron-jo@mindspring.com'" <aaron-jo@mindspring.com>
Even though it was a damp drizzly foggy morning on Thursday here in the
Baltimore area, We started off for TRA 2000 with the tonneau covering our
luggage, as the trunk was filled with supplies and tools. The car ran like a
dream- as I expected after all the work of the 3 year restoration and trial
runs, fine tuning, and fine detailing.

The day before I learned some of the Mason-Dixon TRA group was rendezvousing
at the IHOP north of Towson, and we caught up with them there.  A really
neat caravan of Triumphs:  TR6, TR2, TR3, a trailered show TR2 and a
Cadillac bringing up the rear. Off we went over warren road and the Lock
Raven Reservoir and up Jarretsville Rd Rt165 to 74 and the Susquehanna River
crossing through the beautiful farmland of Maryland. The wipers were needed
periodically, but at road speeds we were dry-no heater needed. As we crossed
the Susquehanna River into PA, we stopped, so I changed the wiper blades to
the more efficient TR6 arms. Then for some reason she began to miss
slightly. So, I stopped to replace the new bumblebee wires with the generic
crimped wires, and proceeded on. Within the next 8 milles the popping became
worse and in Bush, Pa, at the crossroads with a Royal Farms I stopped to
check to fuel flow, carbs, etc. By now she was backfiring with throttle
goose.  Leon was running Webers on his TR6, all the other TR's were running
the SU's. I was kidded about 'Time for SU's'.

I reference Paul's Toyota corrolla challenge "I'd like nothing more than to
be able to fit a trusty pair of
Zenith-Strombergs on it!!  (he, he!).

Well the fuel bowl was clear (thought maybe since this was the first full to
the brim fill-up) after a series of half-full tanks in the previous 247
miles (if you recall my posts @ clutch and Britian on the Green outings)I
thought maybe some crud was blocking the fuel flow. No Joy- New Filter and
bowl clean as a 'glass bowl'. Pulling the air filters I checked the piston
rise. Ahah- rear carb piston lagging- fuel flow spray at the jet minimal
till 3000rpm, when I could get it to 3000rpm, then equal;  but could not
accelerate or engage clutch to move the car- then flooding from rear carb.
Flooding always meant jet and/or float problems.

At this point, we decided to encourage the caravan to go on, as I was
hestitant to pull the float bowl, might tear the gasket, and be struck
anyway- so Camellia called AAA. I then pulled the carb, flipped her over,
gently removed the fuel bowl, the gasket stayed intact- and spotted
microscopic black specs- well at least there was 'something'. The floats
were also shocking in appearance- cracks encased in a coating, and the jet
looked brand new.

Well it all should look new, as the carbs have only about 500 miles since
Joe Curto rebuilt them between Aug '97 and Jan '98. First time I got themn
back I could not get the car to run right. I sent them back and Joe admitted
the floats were porous, he sealed them, but obviously they needed  kre. He
stated that these floats are unavailable, they should be OK now. So in the
spring of 1998 the carbs were fine and the car ran great. We played with the
car and then after @ 200 miles -started the restoration. The carbs sat till
March 2000, and the car started right up and after fine tuning has been
'purrfect'-until the big TRA 2000 trip. Well, until this juncture-the car
was great fun and the caravan added a great outing- always gotta see the
positive!

Reassembling everything- no difference. We ended up with the car on the
rollback for the 87 miles home. It was now 4:30 PM. I was ready to take the
E-type -Vintage car at least for the gathering.

At this juncture SWMBO insisted she would refuse to go if I attempted the
trip in the E-Type or the 'S' convertible, insisting we take the XJR. She
wanted to be dry and comfortable and no roadside adventures. With traffic
now at a standstill, we decided to leave Friday instead of a night
Interstate ride. Disappointed, but determined, I pulled the carb again, to
examine and  to take with, and continued my examinations. No Joy- need to be
more relaxed and systematic.
I then mowed the lawn- before the next round of thunderstorms.

Our ride Friday in the R was great. I hadn't really had the car on only
backroads fro any extended period. At one point past Amish country a Z3
(BMW) attempted to 'loose me' on the twisty winding roads- and let me tell
you- he didn't stand a chance with this BBC. It may be over 4,000# and a
much longer wheelbase than the little Z3, but the 'R' suspension was made
for this. I just put the TR4 badge on the Grill and this BMW was TRiumph
eaten.

The turnout at TRA2000 was magnificent, and the NJ Triumph club did a great
job with help from all. The TR2,3's, 3a's, 4's and 6's were just
spectacular-I'm sure the website will have a picture of the show in due
time. The folks were great, the tech sessions (Overdrive and Lucas
Electricals) very well done- and the accomodations and the area were perfect
for a Vintage Car Rallye. Anyone not familar with the waterfalls -this is a
great outing!

As to the carb- I pulled the jet and found it was occassionally 'sticky',
also found more black specs in the orifices of the upper carb body. When
blowing with a straw- one hit me in the eye- so there were somethings in
there.

At the National Capital Jag club meeting last night several of the members
also reported sticky jets in their XJ6 Z-S's "they tend to varnish up from
the additives in the new formulated gas".

So tonight I'll carb cleaner the jet, reassemble, replace the short hoses
between the feed line and the carbs,  and see- otherwise It may be new SU
time. TRF has a $400 exchange for rebuilts, Moss says they have brand new
SU's- at $509 -10% would be @$450. I always liked the Z-S's, they delivered
four more HP according to the Specs, and were carried over to the 4A.
However, the real reason for the original swap I've read was that SU was
owned by the MG group, and Z-S was a 'neutral' company.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Had to share, with those who know!
Sherman

Sherman D. Taffel