3a head questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: 3a head questions
From: a Wallace <wallaces@superaje.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 11:38:58 -0400
Well it poured rain in the afternoon here yesterday, so I couldn't keep
fixing the back porch. Drat. So I got the engine w/tranny out and on the
bench, and the head off the motor, and now I have a few questions for you
experienced folk:

**this is a post 60K ~Dec. 1960 car**

1. Was the original head gasket copper both sides, yet a laminated type?
Just wondering how to tell if this engine has been rebuilt before (the car
was registered in 62, and has been sitting since 70, with 50,000 on the
clock, which could be real...kind of rusty though).

2. In several places the coolant holes in the head gasket seem like they
are much smaller, or even slightly in the wrong place, compared to the
holes in the block. The most obvious example is the two holes just inside
the front two head bolts, which partly cover the coolant passageways in the
block.
a) Is this the way it's supposed to be?
b) Would there be a benefit to having those holes enlarged in the (next)
head gasket, or were they actually trying to restrict the flow this way?
c) Are the holes in those solid copper replacement gaskets the same as
original?

3. Now I have the struggle of deciding how far to go with the rebuild. So
far it looks like the cylinders are good; there's no scoring or anything,
but it is 83mm....
a) should I replace the pushrods with the hollow ones I've heard of?
b) how can I tell if the valve springs are up to snuff? I guess I could put
a weight on them and measure the change in height - anyone know the spring
rates for the 5 springs involved?
c) unless they seem really perfect, I think I will replace the valve guides
- are the upgrades bronze, or some other alloy, and what's the good source
- BPNW?

4. There are all kinds of things I could do of course, but I have to hold
the (fiscal) line to some extent. What I really want is long-term
reliability, even ruggedness, out of the engine. I would therefore
appreciate a bit of guidance on where to direct my money - for example, if
all is well with my 83mm pistons and liners I may not spend the $ to
automatically move up to 87mm, if the same money could be invested in such
a way that I could have enough confidence to take the car on a very long trip.

I guess I really have 8 questions. Apologies in advance for the length.
Regards,
Jim Wallace
TS81417L