Re: Oil coolers

To: "Hill, Stephen M EDUC:EX" <Stephen.Hill@gems7.gov.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: Oil coolers
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 05:38:42 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>Will automatic transmission coolers function as an engine oil cooler on a
>TR6? I see these advertised in different sizes at the local auto parts
>places for substantially less than I see so-called TR6 engine oil coolers
>advertised in places like Moss. On this part originality is not an issue for
>me.
This is probably not such a good idea.  Oil coolers designed for
transmissions, while looking outwardly similar, are designed for different
purposes.  For one, the working pressure for a tranny cooler is much lower
since it's basically just circulated oil not as pressurized through the
cooler as engine oil is.  Therefore the construction doesn't have to be as
robust.  The second, and probably more important reason it might not be
such a good an idea.  They aren't required to handle anywhere near the flow
requirements that a typical engine is required to have and therefore *may*
be too restrictive resulting in a lowering of oil pressure at the bearings
- I personally wouldn't take the chance -

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)