Re: Fan or not to Fan

To: anabil@caltel.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fan or not to Fan
From: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 06:33:55 PDT
>From: Bill & Skip Pugh <anabil@caltel.com>
>To: triumphs@autox.team.net
>Subject: Fan or not to Fan
>Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 16:40:31 -0700
>
>I have ordered an electric fan for my  57 TR3A, it is my intention to
>remove the old belt driven fan.  Is there a downside to this?  Can I
>just simply remove it or are there parts that need to go back to hold
>things together?
>
>Any help/advice gratefully accepted.
>
>Bill Pugh
>57 TR3A

     Your timing is rather convenient as I just did this to my TR4.
     After years of thinking about it (and after a nasty vibration
     developed in the fan assembly) I finally bought a harmonic
     balancer for my TR4. This forced me to deal with replacing the
     late TR4 fan with an electric model. The "stock" fan did
     admirably keeping my car cool... In a way I was sad to see it go.

     I bought a 13" high performance fan from my local NAPA-like parts
     store. Hook-up was uneventful however while the fan would hold at
     185f while running when stopped in trafffic the temp would rise
     rather significantly. Considering the car would normally run
     between 175-185f this was not good. I believe the plastic faring
     on the fan was restricting air flow through the core of the
     radiator.

     I replaced the entire fan and wiring kit with a 14" Perma Cool fan
     that I purchased from Summit Racing supply I had to fabricate a
     frame from aluminum to hold the fan to the radiator, in a "puller"
     set-up and slot the botttom mounts on the radiator to allow it to
     slide forward about 1/2". Of course I had to adjust the upper
     radiator support brackets as well. Wiring was simple. I used the
     relay/thermostat set up from Perma-Cool. The fan draws 30 Amps,
     which is handled very well by the Ford Alternator that I installed
     in my `4 a number of years ago.

     Now that I've written all the above let me make a recommendation
     for you to try first. This will save you money in the long haul.
     I presume your `3 has had it's cooling system checked out
     carefully... If not flush it thoroughly. You should have the air
     shroud in place and in good shape. Have the radiator cleaned and
     possibly rodded out to make sure you have the most cooling
     capacity. Then get a late TR4 fan installed on the stock location,
     with all new bushings etc (the TR3 fan is notorious for not being
     able to pull fuzz off a dandelion... I know... I had one. The
     early `4's came with the same fan).

     Good luck,

     Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois