Re: Rear Brake Cylinder Clips on TR 4A

Subject: Re: Rear Brake Cylinder Clips on TR 4A
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 09:07:55 -0700
Cc: Triumph Newsgroup <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Justin :

According to my TR3 book, the 3 pieces are the Distance piece, Retaining
plate and Spring plate.  The only one I can see leaving out is the
distance piece (which is also the smallest one), but it should be easy
to install since it goes in first.  I assume that's the one you are
talking about, since the two larger pieces interlock and leaving one of
them out would allow the whole thing to fall apart.

I believe there is an error in the diagram shown in the TR3 factory
workshop manual and in the Haynes (which is just a copy of the same
diagram), so I follow the procedure in the factory manual : install the
smaller distance piece first with the open end away from the handbrake
lever, then the spring plate (larger piece with two upturned tabs) with
the open end away from the lever, put the handbrake lever in place, then
tap the retaining plate (larger piece with two slots to match tabs on
the spring plate) into position (open end towards the lever) with a
screwdriver and hammer.  Make sure the tabs on the spring plate fit into
the slots on the distance piece.  This results in the spring plate and
retaining plate being turned 180 degrees from the position shown in the
diagrams.

I can't see that the distance piece is all that critical, but it does
tighten things considerably.  I suspect that, without it, the slave
cylinder will vibrate down from it's centered position, and allow the
lower shoe to drag on the drum when the brakes haven't been applied for
awhile (like coming back from Portland <g>).

Randall
59 TR3A