Re: TR3 brake drums

To: Phil Ethier <pethier@isd.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 brake drums
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 22:02:43 -0600
Cc: Richard White <rlwhitetr3b@hotmail.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net

Phil Ethier wrote:

> >The drum turns fairly freely so I think it is hung up on the
> >center instead of the shoes.
>
> You probably have a ridge on the edge of the drum.  Try adjusting your
> parking brake all the way loose.

The above is very possible. If completely loosening the park brake
adjustment does not allow the drum to be removed, it may be that the hub
flange and drum are rusted together. The quickest way to alleviate that
difficulty is to find a heavy dead-blow hammer (one which is soft enough
not to mar the drum--a rubber-covered lead mallet is ideal), then hit
the drum with the mallet on its outside periphery at a 45 deg. angle
(note that the drum probably has a 45 deg. chamfer on its edge facing
you--guess what that's for!), turn the drum, hit again, and repeat until
the drum gives up its clutch on the hub.

Cheers.

--

Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM