RE: Brainstorming: Fans

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>, derek evans <derek_evans@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Brainstorming: Fans
From: "Biedermann, Frank (SSABSA)" <frank@ssabsa.sa.gov.au>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 10:08:37 +0930charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Derek & Joe,

I think you might be overlooking the most important aspect
of this sort of idea - the airflow that the fans produce. I
suspect that you would find the 14in (or whatever size the
automotive fans are) have a much larger capacity to push/
pull air around than 12 of the little fans.

For example in my RS Components catalogue, one of the highest
rated fans (computer power supply size) outputs 150 litres/sec,
however the current it draws at 12V is 1.2A (approx 15 watts
in power). I think you would find that the 100mA fans supplies
considerably less air flow than that fan simply because
of its lower power consumption. Unfortunately, not all the
fans in the catalogue have all of the specs - some have
current ratings, others have air flow ratings, while the
rarest have both, so I can't give you an example.

One other problem with the high output fan listed above
is that it costs AUS$113.56 for 1-4, or AUS$102.21 for
5-9 of them. Obviously you get what you pay for... That
would probably blow (no pun intended) your cooling budget.

Hope this helps,

Frank Biedermann
69 TR6 PI
Adelaide