Flowmaster exhaust...

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Flowmaster exhaust...
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 20:23:31 -0600
Jim, I tried to reply to your message privately, but it came back as
undeliverable (with the notation "550 spammer"--you really need to talk
to your provider about that one). At any rate, here's the text of the
message just sent, and apologies to everyone for the waste of bandwidth:

wallaces@superaje.com wrote:

> I have heard it said that for performance (if that's what you're asking), the
> only way to go is Flowmaster. I have been in touch with them and if I recall
> correctly their products are aluminized steel, because the heat extracted
>eventually
> cracks stainless steel.

That's PR mumbo-jumbo. They're selling aluminized steel because it's
significantly cheaper, and a lot more difficult to repair because of the
aluminum electroplating.

Cracking, independent of construction flaws, depends upon the material
characteristics, and the coefficient of expansion and the specific heat
for mild steel and for the commonly available stainlesses is virtually
identical. _Ipso facto_, no difference in behavior regarding heat
transfer or retention. It's just more marketing nonsense.

> The mufflers are Helmholtz resonators which can truly
> scavenge; no one else does it this way. I don't have one, but I'm sold on the
> concept. The website is:

Helmholtz was a physics and electronics whiz, but he never designed a
muffler, to my knowledge. That's just a bullshit name they adopted for
marketing purposes. Your average hot-rodder doesn't know Helmholtz from
the Heimlich maneuver.

I'd stay the hell away from these guys based on just what you've
mentioned here.

Cheers.

--

Michael D. Porter