Re: Gas Tank cleaning - in Ottawa, Canada

To: Stephane St-Amant <steph71tr6@crosswinds.net>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Gas Tank cleaning - in Ottawa, Canada
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 18:01:22 -0400
Stephane St-Amant wrote:
> Anybody in the Ottawa, Canada area knows of a good place to have it
> cleaned/hot tanked.  I was quoted 200$cdn for a complete cleanup and seal at
> Miniman but I'm on a thight budget right now and anything cheaper would be
> welcomed.  As far as I know, there is no rust, just varnish and crud.

  From my experience, you don't HAVE to do this.

  Drain all the gas out of the tank, dispose of it safely. (ideally
use it in your lawnmower, there isn't ANYTHING a lawnmower won't
burn)

  When you get as much gas as you can out of the tank, leave
it out in the sun for a day or three. This will dry out the
last bit of residue in the tank, when then makes the sand and
rust flakes inside float around.

  Shake the tank all over to get as much as you can out, may
take some body contortions, but it'll come out. Don't be
shocked to get a litre or two of sand out of a tank that
you thought was just fine.

  Then install it again and put a $5 fuel filter as close as
you can to the tank, and enjoy.

  The fresh gas will dissolve the varnish over the next few
years, and any chunks or flakes will land in the filter.

  I am in Ottawa, so if you need me to show you how to
avoid work on any other car topic, I can do in person
demos. ;>

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca