Re: TR6 Brakes

To: Jim Davis <jh_davis@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 Brakes
From: "Theodore R. Stevens" <stevens@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 09:45:49 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Jim Davis wrote:
[snip]
>occasionaly the brake pedal will sink quite low without much
>stopping power when the brakes are applied but will become
>firm after a pump or two. The problem is becomming progressively
>worse.

I've had a similar problem, except that so far it's only shown up with
prolonged pedal pressure (e.g., sitting at a traffic light).  I
disassembled the 3-year-old m/c to replace the (overpriced) seals, and
found that everything (seals, bore, etc) looked perfect. I replaced the
seals anyway.  There was a *tiny* bit of sludge at the front of the bore,
which I cleaned out. Bled the system, and everything was just fine... for a
week.

My suspicion is that there is some cruft in the system, that's keeping the
seals from sealing, OR that the tipping valve is bad (the rebuild kit I
bought for $30 didn't contain the tipping valve or its seal).

Good luck, and let us know how you resolve your problem.  If/when I figure
mine out, I'll do the same.
---
Ted Stevens     stevens@erols.com
74 TR6          Gaithersburg, MD