Re: TR6 headlights

To: jonmac@ndirect.co.uk
Subject: Re: TR6 headlights
From: "J.H. Roulleaux" <Jean.Rouleaux@skynet.be>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 12:29:47 +0200
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
From:                   "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
To:                     "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Date sent:              Fri, 18 Aug 2000 07:56:52 +0100
Send reply to:          "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>

Re: TR6 Headlights - non-sealed units

At 8:17 AM -0700 8/17/00, John Vance wrote:
>Any body got any clue where I can get non-sealed beam setups for a TR6?
>TRF sell some nice 100W halogen bulbs but I'd like to have some glass
>to wrap em in.....

Phil Barnes wrote:
My recommendation would be Cibies with 55/65W bulbs. The Cibie choice is a
personal one, but don't go overboard on watts unless you also rewire the
circuits to include relays. The stock wiring/switches won't handle
high-watt bulbs happily.

Freddie Scheys - can you comment on this? Something in my water tells me the
Belgian built
cars offered Cibies as an optional fitment? If so, this overcomes 'originality'
issues.
Don't think they were available for UK build
Also, Phil raises an important point on the wiring side of things. I wouldn't
be too
confident about putting the power for a 100w halogen bulb down an original or
even a
modern replacement loom. It seems one or two listers have doubts about cable
weight and
*if* some cable is lighter than original, the load problem is compounded. A
safer bet
would be 55/60w Xenon bulbs - this being the maximum legally permitted power on
our side
o't pond?

Jonmac

John ,
You are right, my 1970 TR6 assembled in Belgium came with Cibié lenses.I think
at that period
halogen bulbs had only single wire, because each assembly  carried 2 bulbs and
2 reflectors,
a large one for low beem and a smaller one for high beem.The glas
itself was flat. As was unable to find replacement I changed to H4
from Lucas, and they look much nicer.
Jean