Re: DOT 5

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: DOT 5
From: "Theodore R. Stevens" <stevens@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 16:27:17 -0400
Cc: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
At 07:41 8/24/00 -0400, TeriAnn Wakeman wrote:
>> -Cosmo Kramer wrote
>>      Thought: If I go in to a auto parts store & I purchase silcone brake
>>fluid, then two years later when I'm on the road in another state & go,
>>to a different store, to buy silicone brake fluid [purchasing a
>>different name brand]. Will this silcone brake fluid be compatable?
>>I guess my problem is that I should not lie awake at night thinking of
>> my car. :>)
>
>Do you have the same nightmares about DOT 4 brake fluid?
>
>The DOT number refers to a United States Department of Transportation
>specification for brake fluid.  Any brake fluid that meets the same
>specification should be compatible and have properties that meet the
>standard.  Thus the fluids would be virtually identical from a
>compatibility and performance standpoint.
[snip]

NOTE: I can't find the reference right now, but I recall reading that "DOT
5" was actually a *brand name* for a silicone brake fluid, and at least
didn't start out as a US Dept. of Transportation designation. Is there now
truly a DOT 5 designation for silicone fluid, or is it just a
manufacturers' convention to call it that?

---
Ted Stevens     stevens@erols.com
74 TR6          Gaithersburg, MD