Re: TR4 jacking

To: pethier@isd.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 jacking
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 10:18:04 EDT
In a message dated 08/28/2000 2:46:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
pethier@isd.net writes:

> Jack the rear with a floor jack under the diff.
>
>  Place 2x4s under the frame rails near the rear spring mounts to pad the
>  jackstands.
>
>  Jack the front with a floor jack under the front crossmember.
>
>  Place 2x4s under the frame rails near the front suspension to pad the
>  jackstands.
>
>  Please let me know what's best.

Ok, help me out. I can't understand the value of the 2x4s as opposed to the
risk involved in using them. Even good hardwoods can split, and I can only
see the wood in this case providing a less stable base than would a jackstand
whose end hopefully would "cradle" the frame rail. Too easy for the wood to
slide, etc., as well as crumble or otherwise collapse.

If damage to the paint on the frame is to be minimized or avoided, I could
see "lining" the jackstand end with a thin piece of hard rubber or nylon, and
I think I've seen such "pads" advertised.

If you've had a car come off of a jack or jackstands or any other support
either ON or even NEAR you, you'll know it is an experience you'll not want
to repeat.

--Andy

Andrew Mace, President, The Vintage Triumph Register