Re: TR7 Front End Wobble

To: "triumphlist" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR7 Front End Wobble
From: "Thomas Beaver" <beaver@spillmanco.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 12:39:17 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Hey gang,

A Triumph newbie here, so please excuse what are probably two simple
questions.

First, if I lift up the front end of my TR7, and grap each wheel at the 3:00
and 9:00 position and push/pull, I get a slight wobble.  If I grab them at
12:00 and 6:00 and do the same thing, no wobble.

So, is this acceptable, or is there some wear I should note, and "where" is
it?

Your 9/3 wobble is probably in your steering rack or tie rod ends. The rack
could be internal or the hold down brackets(?). Easy to trace, just see
whats moving when you or better yet someone else pushes/pulls.

Second, I have been agonizing over the correct tightness of the hub nut and
washer that holds the wheel/bearings in place.  The manual says torque to 60
inch/lbs. then back off one flat, but that seems really loose.  So I
tightened to about 50 inch/lbs, and made sure I could still move the washer
back and forth slightly by pushing at it with a screw driver -- an old VW
trick.

think that will work?

I think your fine. I never know when is to tight or to loose either. If the
wheel spins freely and you,ve got your cotter pin back in without play at
12/6 and 9/3 you should be fine.

Bruce
1980 Inca Yellow TR7 5-speed convertible

It doesn't have SU carbs, a CD player and a comm # of TCT111......does it? I
sure miss that car.

Tom Beaver
Indianapolis