RE: A small but frustrating problem

To: "list, triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: A small but frustrating problem
From: Davies William-qswi646 <William.M.Davies@motorola.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 14:27:07 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
> The "trick" here is the use of an extra set of fingers.  You
> need to press
> the black escutcheon that slips over the shaft, and that retains the
> spring, far enough back towards the door, that you have room
> to drop the
> little pin through the shaft and crank.  You need a good set of
> needle-nose pliers to hold the little pin.  I generally use a
> set of Kelly
> clamps (locking forcepts.) You can press the escutcheon back
> with a large
> screwdriver. Cheers.

Hi,
        I didn't chip in here because I wasn't sure if the TR6 handles were
the same as those no Heralds/Spitfires - it sounds like they're pretty
similar.
        What I do is fit the escutcheon plate so that it is offset, ie., the
handle presses down onto the inside edge rather than properly locating
through the centre. Insert the taper pin using snipe nose pliers while
pressing the handle with the other hand. Once the pin is in place you can
centre the escutcheon so that the spring pressure pushes it back to cover
(and retain) the pin.
        I have found that omitting the spring can cause the handle to rattle
and the pin can fall out easily. You will also get an unsightly gap between
the escutcheon and the door panel. It's worth doing the job properly, and
it's really quite straightforward after the 100th time.....
        Cheers,
                Bill.

                            This Message sent by:
    ^================^
   /                  \     William Davies
  /                    \    Total Triumph Enthusiast
/  \  ______  ______  /  \  1959 Herald 948 Coupé Y128
\__/  \     ||     /  \__/  1959 Herald 948 Coupé
=====U==============U=====  1960 Herald 948 Saloon 100% Original
 | |                  | |   1961 Herald 1200 Coupé
 |_|                  |_|   1964 Herald 1200 Saloon
                            1959 Standard Atlas Pickup
Join The Herald Mailing List at:
http://www.egroups.com/group/triumph_herald