RE: TR4 jacking - watch out!

To: "'Phil Ethier'" <pethier@isd.net>, John Cowan <jfcowan@pacbell.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR4 jacking - watch out!
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 10:41:12 -0400 charset="iso-8859-1"

Aw C'mon....  They all leak, right from the factory.  A bigwig in the Brit
Leyland Service organization I once knew explained that all their cars
exhibit a degree of " Controlled Seepage" and that it was perfectly normal.
I think maybe a more appropriate term might be
"Active Undercoating".
        I would be curious to know if John Cowan's leak developed after he
filled the pumpkin.
(not trying to be rude here...)  When you jack up the car at the rear and
fill up the diff,  I think you get a bit of an overfill, because of the
nose-down attitude.  When you return to level, static laden, the higher oil
level may very well be reaching the back of the pinion's oil seal. Anything
less than a perfect seal is going to let a bit 'o 90W drool out on the
garage floor.  I just can't see the axle tubes developing a leak at the
Pumpkin casting interface because of a jacking exercise.  Think of the
stresses on this junction when you are spinning the wheels on a bumpy
potholed 'road'.  I doubt the jack-leak connection...   (JMHO)
Bob Westerdale
Knee deep in kitty litter

Thanks!

What say you, listers?  Did this happen to anyone else?

From: John Cowan <jfcowan@pacbell.net>
>      The shop manual says jacking on the pumpkin is ok, but in my case it
>caused the diff to leak.

1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Chev Suburban, 1962 Triumph TR4