Re: tire history (no LBC) (was TR3 tires)

To: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Subject: Re: tire history (no LBC) (was TR3 tires)
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 00:48:23 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

Randall Young wrote:

> It certainly finished the job started by the 500, but at least wasn't blamed
> (AFAIK) for killing anyone.

Well, as Mark Twain said, "Reports of my death are premature," and the
same can probably be said for Bridgestone/Firestone. They likely aren't
going to leave the planet soon. Whether they can build customer
confidence in them again remains to be seen.

My guess is that this will be a perfect opportunity for Bridgestone to
kill the Firestone name in order to improve the marketing position of
the company as a whole and only sell tires under the Bridgestone name.

My only knowledge of Firestone is of their service centers, not tires
(never have bought a Firestone tire). The service centers suck, and,
frankly, prey on customers with no automotive knowledge, charge high
rates and press hard for unnecessary or unaffordable work, from my brief
experience with them. Firestone was better than that before Bridgestone
assumed control.

Cheers.

--

Michael D. Porter